Saturday 4 August 2007

Back home

I have finally arrived back home - after 2 1/2 years in New York. Although I have been looking forward to this for some time, as many will know, now that my wish has become reality, I feel slightly daunted. A new chapter in my life is about to start - and I am not sure yet what it will bring. It feels odd shifting from one "normality" to another; returning to my "old" life yet it is not the same. I have changed, Keith has changed and now we have two young puppies. And then, I may be returning home, but not to my "old" life. I am not taking up my previous job, and I have left the relative comfort of my last job behind since yesterday.
This week-end is for unpacking, settling and rejoicing in Keith, Stoli and Smirnov.
Keith has left to prepare for his recital this evening and I am enjoying the (relative) quiet at home - as quiet as things can be with two growing puppies, who now are 3 months old.
To my amazement, they have grown even in the 10 days I have been away. Both puppies were overjoyed by my return. Stoli especially has been sticking close by. This hasn't stopped either of them from (a) going after my shoes (I may have to kick the habit of kicking them off - or get used to having to get up to retrieve them); (b) further decimating parts of my garden (the flower patch has been somewhat decimated, as has been the cyanothus). Although Keith has confessed to being slightly frazzled after 10 days alone with them, leaving him somewhat nervous for his recital this evening, we both agree that there are no regrets in having decided to get these two in our moment of irrational decision.
It is lovely outside, but I prefer sitting in the cool freshness of the house with the closed shutters. It feel quiet despite Smirnov's snuffling. My sandal is giving him immense pleasure....
Monday will be for the start of a new life - minus a left sandal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are so glad you're finally back home!! I realise lots of things will be different, as you note, but I also know how amazingly you adapt to any sort of situation and make the best of it, so I'm not worried! If there is any way I can be of help, of course, I'm here, as is Sam, for you! (Perhaps you can continue to kick off your shoes, but rather than leaving them on the floor, put them out of reach . . . ) Lindy xoxoxxoxoxoxoxox